Thursday, May 12, 2011

Journeying home!

I obviously am not a good blogger. Seeing as how my ability to blog regularly has proved itself fickle, and I should probably just give up on it...never.

My time in Bilbao is just about over. I have another day and then head home to see my wonderful family and embark to camp. I'm so thrilled! My Easter break was unbelievable! I made my way from Bilbao up to Paris for 3 days, then Berlin for 3 days, down to Prague for 2 days, Vienna on Easter, Budapest, Hungary for a day and a half (needed more), then finally back into Germany for a stop in Munich.

What a trip.

Abby and I ate some incredible food, visited the world's most recognized sites, met wonderful friends along the way, and soaked in the scenery of 5 different countries. It was the type of travel anyone could want, with minimal surprises, although some (AKA booked trains or sold out hostels!) but nothing to harsh. We had an evening picnic, touched the Berlin wall, listened to an Austrian orchestra express Mozzart, went to a Turkish style public bath (interesting) and celebrated our trip at the spring festival in Bavaria! We went all by train and easily took 1000 pictures between us of castles, cathedrals, landscapes, meals, and all the crazy people!

Europe is a fascinating place with a lot of depth. But it's good to be American. I will always celebrate who we are as a country, what it is that we stand for, even if the media makes it look like idiots sometimes! Over here there is a whole different type of news. When I was in line to climb the Eiffel Tower, a French journalist came up to me and asked..."Did you hear the news? They got Osama! How does it feel??". I hadn't heard yet, so can't say I wasn't standing there dumbfounded without a clue how to respond...so I took out my twin six shooters and started shooting in the air and hollering YEEEHAWWW!


Of course that's what he expected...but I was uncomfortable. Death is death and it makes me sad in any way. Not to say he didn't get exactly what he deserves. I just didn't see myself dancing in the streets even though it can be celebrated. It's an interesting time we live in, and my main hope is for the younger generations. That we can continue the good work our grandparents started in working hard, pursuing a strong intellectual understanding of the world, and becoming more of somebody for the rest. Because it's not about the world you find yourself in, it's what you do with it, and how you leave it that will matter.

See you guys soon!! i love ya

1 comment: