Friday, July 23, 2010

Going to the Top!

My classroom in the mornings, with my fellow volunteer from Holland (don't mention the World Cup), a few of the goofballs, and Lilliana the teacher.On the Trek.
Some of my favorite Kiddos, Mariana, Yasmine, Isaiahs, and Leonardo!



Last week I had the chance of a lifetime, to trek and climb Huaytapallana (good luck pronouncing that one). It’s a glacier at an altitude of 14,000 feet in Peru! At first, those of us who aren’t from around this neck of the woods, were gasping for air with each step. The climb was steep, a bit scary, and definitely challenging. At the beginning there was an ominous shadow that the mountain cast over us. The peak was tremendous, and for those of you who know Columbine Trail in Red River, NM...that’s a piece of cake compared to this! It seemed to dare, and taunt me to reach the top. I defied it. Abby and I encouraged each other to push through the burning muscles and weezing lungs, and we finally made it past the first push, after about an hour. We found ourselves standing in between a deep valley in which we would soon descend, and the vast plain below us from which we had come. In the distance, I saw snow tipped mountains that would reveal themselves as glaciers within a couple of hours.

I wish my family had been there. My Dad is responsible for instilling a passion for physical challenges like sports or hiking, and my grandma, Gaga, passed her passion for nature to all of us. I’ve never had a better time in my life when I am together with both of my sisters, and my mom knows how to sit and soak in a beautiful moment. I feel so lucky to have so many people in my life that all appreciate beauty, and hard work, because that was the epitomy of this adventure. Throughout my travels, I have had many experiences that bow my mind, but all of them seem to lack just a bit when I’m not with all of the people I love so much. It is revelations like this that make me homesick at times, and also realize why home is so intensely meaningful to me.

Anyways, enough with the sappy stuff…When our expedition made it to the glacier, we had to climb 50 meters of pure and steep ice using 100 feet of rope I had carried. This was tricky mainly because one of us had to scramble up the slanted obstacle, find secure footing, and plant a stake into the ground in order to secure themselves, while the rest of us used the rope to guide ourselves upward. After about 45 minutes of this leapfrog action, we made it to the ice planes. A GIANT winter park, larger than any face of a ski resort I’ve witnessed. Of course we got to play! Sledding down a 45 degree ice patch for 100 feet with no breaks is quite a rush!

My final description of this weekend is really just to remind myself a frightening aspect of all this excitement. On the way down from the mountain, I expected to take half the time we climbed, so about 2 hours…but when we were descending the first peak, a sinister fog began to sink around us. I swear I could not see 12 feet beyond my nose! Not only was it hard to see the people walking the path before me, but also step drop offs that surrounded us. At one point, shortly after our guide had declared we were taking a shortcut, he asked us to wait, so he could make sure we were going the right way…after an hour and a half of walking in obscured paths…that is not what I wanted to hear. For an intense moment I considered what sleeping at 13,000 feet during winter, with 8 people and no shelter would feel like. But my guide was true to his word and returned from out of sight within minutes. In an hour we reached our van, and the tiny village house that sat next to it. The old lady who lived there had prepared all of us a fresh river trout dinner with potatoes and rice…DELICIOUS.

I know that was a lot about the hike, but this is an online journal for me as well! Remember I’m almost 24…so my memory isn’t what it used to be. My work is going great. I love the kids and I’ve just about learned all their names HAHA. It’s hard when you can barely pronounce them! This weekend I’m going to take off on a bus and go to the jungle. I WANT TO SEE SOME MONKEYS!

This week Abby showed me a great scripture about going further than you ever could have imagined. "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

It is inspirational, because a huge part of me just wants to leave a mark on this world that makes people smile for a lifetime. Who knows? By believing that positive change is always possible, and taking the right action to make it happen, all of us can impact somebody right? I love y’all and I can’t wait to see your pretty faces soon.



1 comment: